image from Wikipedia.org
Kids can make balloon rockets in honor of the first launch of the space shuttle.
- twine or kite string
- Cut twine or kite string in about 10-foot long pieces.
- Thread one end of a string through a straw.
- Pull string tight, taping each end down to different objects. Ideally, one side should be slightly higher than the other.
- Blow up balloon, but do not tie it.
- Tape balloon so that it hangs under straw.
- Let go of mouth of balloon and your rocket should shoot from one end of the string to the other!
Check out the full April calendar. It includes floating holidays, specialty weeks, and specialty months.