image from runtvapor.com
Not only is today Strawberries and Cream Day, but May is Strawberry month. Here are some fun facts about strawberries, according to MacaroniKid.com:
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside.
- Each strawberry contains approximately 200 seeds.
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in spring.
- Strawberries are low fat, low calorie, high in Vitamin C, fiber, folic acid and potassium.
- There is a museum in Belgium just for strawberries.
- The average person in the United States eats 3.4 pounds of fresh strawberries every year.
- 23,000 acres of strawberries are planted in California each year, which equals around 1 billion pounds!
- Crushed pretzels, 1 ½ cups
- Sugar, ½ cup
- Butter, 1/3 cup
- Microwave-safe 9” x 13” pan
- Cool Whip, 1 9-ounce package
- Cream cheese, 8 ounces
- Powdered sugar, ½ cup
- 8-cup microwave safe container
- Strawberry gelatin, two 3-ounce packages
- Frozen strawberries, one 16-ounce package (don’t drain)
- Crushed pineapple, 1 cup drained
- Melt butter at 100% power for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Combine butter with sugar and pretzels and spread in pan.
- Microwave uncovered at 70 to 80% power for 2 to 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Mix cream cheese, Cool Whip, and powdered sugar.
- Spread over cooled crust s and place in fridge to partially set.
- In container, heat 2 cups water and add gelatin; heat 1-2 more minutes at 100% power to dissolve gelatin.
- Add strawberries and pineapple.
- Pour on top of other 2 layers and refrigerate until set.
Check out the full May calendar. It includes floating holidays, specialty weeks, and specialty months.