image from fineartamerica.com
- dull pennies
- white vinegar
- glass jar
- measuring spoons
- Put salt on a penny.
- Put vinegar on another penny.
- Predict what will happen. Observe and discuss.
- Mix 6 tbs. vinegar and 2 tbs. salt in a jar. Stir in some pennies for a few minutes.
- Rinse pennies and dry with towel.
- Observe and discuss results.
- Explanation: The dull film on the pennies forms when oxygen atoms from the air join the copper atoms in the pennies. Vinegar and salt when mixed form an acid which breaks down the oxygen atoms to make pennies look new again.
Source(s): 100 Science Activities for Kids (activity D1).
Check out the full August calendar. It includes floating holidays, specialty weeks, and specialty months.