image from digkabri2011.wordpress.com
- Assorted rock, shells, fossils, bones, etc.
- Large foil pan
- Plaster of Paris
- Tools for digging, such as metal forks
- Safety goggles
- Stiff brushes
- Gather materials to be buried in the plaster.
- Trace each object on a piece of paper. This creates a map to go by when digging later.
- Place objects in large pan.
- Mix plaster of Paris and pour over the objects.
- With a large enough pan, you can create layers by letting one level dry before adding more objects and creating another layer.
- Once plaster is hardened, kids can go to work digging up the hidden treasures.
- Let kids use various tools for digging in the plaster.
- As objects are found, they can be placed on the map.
Source(s): Toolbox Training’s 100 Nature Activities for Kids card set.
Check out the full August calendar. It includes floating holidays, specialty weeks, and specialty months.