image from paintingsilove.com
With two sea-themed holidays, have the kids make sea scenes.
- tissue paper
- white poster board or construction paper
- cups or bowl
- Explain to children that a seascape is a painting of the ocean and its shoreline.
- Mix some glue with a little water in a small bowl or cup.
- Each child gets a piece of paper or poster board and some tissue paper.
- Tear tissue paper into strips.
- Brush some glue onto the board and place tissue paper over it one piece at a time.
- Brush more glue over tissue paper to make it lay flat.
- Arrange torn tissue paper so that some overlap.
- Leave white space between some pieces to suggest waves.
- After the seascape is dry, kids can also add items to the scene – such as sea serpents or lighthouses!
Source(s): 100 Art Activities for Kids.
Check out the full August calendar. It includes floating holidays, specialty weeks, and specialty months.