image from thevirtualworld.blogspot.com
You can use this day to focus on writing nonsensical or silly poetry.
- Writing materials
- For this activity, focus on rhyming poetry, but let kids know that poems do not always rhyme.
- Have kids write couplets (two lines) in which each line has the same number of syllables.
- Instruct kids to end each line with rhyming words.
- However, instead of trying to write lines which logically follow each other, encourage kids to write silly lines which may not have anything to do with each other.
- Children may even choose to make up words to rhyme together (such as in the style of Dr. Seuss).
Check out the full October calendar. It includes floating holidays, specialty weeks, and specialty months.