image from bmx.transworld.net
Here’s a game to play in honor of Dictionary Day:
- Index cards
- Each child picks an unfamiliar word from the dictionary.
- The word is written on one index card and the definition is written on the other.
- The words and definitions should also be recorded on a separate sheet of paper.
- After a dozen or so words have been collected, the word cards can be laid out on a table.
- A child draws a definition card and tries to match it to the appropriate word card.
- Play continues until all words have been matched.
- Check the separate sheet of paper to see if the words and definitions have been appropriately matched.
Source(s): From Toolbox Training’s upcoming 100 Language Activities for Kids.
Check out the full October calendar. It includes floating holidays, specialty weeks, and specialty months.