image from transforming-science.com
Try these unique ways to grow vegetables!
- variety of fruit and vegetable seeds
- small pots
- good garden soil
- avocado pits
- glass jars
- potato and sweet potato cuttings
- carrot tops
- Plant seeds in pots with soil, about twice as deep as they are wide.
- Stick toothpicks in avocado pits to support them on top of a glass filled with water. The wide end of the seed should be just submerged in the water. Keep glass filled with water.
- For potatoes and sweet potatoes, make sure cutting has at least one “eye,” which is where the potato vine will grow. The eye needs to be out of the water.
- Carrot tops will also grow this way if the root end is kept submerged.
- All of these must be transplanted to soil eventually; water alone won’t keep the plants growing.
Source(s): Adapted from bizarrelabs.com for 100 Nature Activities for Kids (Activity F5)
Check out the full June calendar. It includes floating holidays, specialty weeks, and specialty months.