image from abclocal.go.com
The Toolbox Training book 100 Nature Activities for Kids has an entire section of weather activities which includes activities such as making a weather vane, rain gauge, barometer, and hygrometer. Consider making those various instruments along with starting a weather calendar today and keeping it for the next month.
- 2 large calendars or poster board to make calendars
- construction paper
- Discuss weather conditions with the children. What’s the weather going to be like today? How can we find out?
- The children will cut out symbols from construction paper that describe the weather (such as an umbrella for a rainy day, sun for a sunny day, or cloud for a cloudy day).
- The children can also write the days of the week and the dates on the calendar.
- The children may want to call the weather line to get a prediction for the day.
- The children can attach the symbol for the day and write in the temperature.
Source(s): 100 Nature Activities for Kids (activity A3)
Check out the full February calendar. It includes floating holidays, specialty weeks, and specialty months.