There are lots of banana-related cooking activities (see list below), but you can also use bananas for a science experiment.
- A banana
- Two sealable plastic bags
- Dry yeast
- Measuring spoon (½ tsp.)
- Table knife
- Cut slices from a peeled banana.
- Put one slice in each sealable bag.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp. of yeast on one of the banana slices.
- Seal both bags.
- Mark an “X” on the bag with the yeast.
- Record kids’ predictions on what will happen.
- Check each bag daily for a week. Which slice decomposes fastest?
Also check out activities C3, D5, I9, and J4 from Toolbox Training book 100 Cooking Activities for Kids.
Check out the full September calendar to see the month at a glance as well as floating holidays, specialty weeks, and themes for the month.