image from 3.bp.blogspot.com
Toolbox Training hopes to roll out a language activity card set/book by year’s end. Along with activities around reading, the set should include activities for storytelling, writing, poetry, bookmaking, and more.
Here are different reading activities to consider:
- Read a book to the group.
- Have older kids read to younger kids.
- Have non-readers look at a picture book and tell an adult what they think the story is about without knowing the words.
- Read a picture book to the group without showing the pictures. Then ask the kids to illustrate the book.
- Read part of a book to the group and then have them predict the ending. Then finish to see how close kids were.
- Have kids act out a book as an adult or older child reads it.
- Let kids read books and record their voices for books on tape.
Check out the full September calendar to see the month at a glance as well as floating holidays, specialty weeks, and themes for the month.