image from nurseryrhymesonline.com
- Tape recorder (optional)
- Blank cassette (optional)
- Pick a familiar tune children will know – like “Mary Had a Little Lamb”. Other possibilities include “Old MacDonald”, “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”, or “My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean”.
- Determine a subject or topic for the new song.
- Work with the group to get contributions to the new song.
- You may even want to print the original lyrics for the song so that kids can study the number of syllables used in each line. Find the words for “Mary Had a Little Lamb” here.
- Try out the new words in the song frequently to see if they fit.
- When the song is perfected, write the words down or even record the song if possible.
Check out the full September calendar to see the month at a glance as well as floating holidays, specialty weeks, and themes for the month.